'OOC Speak' in RP - Suggestions

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Emily McNeil

Cowboy
Whitelisted
Sep 2, 2020
Depending on what it is and where, I have different things I do. "Bell for my Meal Order" if I'm at a Saloon and am making dinner, "Apologies, Need to grab some food out of my bag" if I'm out and about. Both those relate to eating. I otherwise use Daydreaming or taking a short nap, depending on where I am and how long I'll be AFK, and if it was unannounced. Like, "Apologies, I zoned out there and ended up daydreaming. What have I missed?". And I've gotten into the habit of calling restarts curfew.

Elaine Shields

Traveler
Whitelisted
Apr 27, 2020
An OOC chat would have to come with rules that limit its use to helping with bugs, game mechanics, and emergencies, and I think it would be a fantastic addition to this server. There have been countless instances where I have no other way of staying in character without searching for the person I'm RPing with and messaging them on discord. For example, how is someone supposed to explain /IveFallenAndICantGetUp, /fIxhorse, or /givecash. I've heard people say "Think about givecash" but if you imagine everything said in RP as something someone would say IRL, then it's completely immersion-breaking. I would have no idea how to respond to someone if they told me to "flex my G muscle" IRL.

Jen Acree

The Wolf of Tall Trees
US Marshal
Sheriff's Office
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Mar 1, 2020
Nebraska, USA
As far as resets, you could even say something along the lines of "looks like the train should be here soon I'm going to go XYZ (lay down for a minute, back to my house, ect.) and then I'll hop onboard" and as a follow up if you want to continue RP with someone and need to see what server they'll be on, "Do you know what stop you'll be getting off at?"

For mechanics, it's pretty easy to just say "You know, people have been asked that question so frequently, they even wrote a little book about it." If they still can't figure it out, you may just have to get creative. Most of the time, so long as people understand the / commands, if you say something like "you may need to see if you can fix your horse, maybe check his hooves to see if there's some mud stuck in there". Emphasizing the appropriate words should offer enough of a hint.

For the 'G' menu... "Gee, have you tried to just lean on that railing."

Keys: "Just alternate the key to the left... you may have to hold it in the lock for a second."

I've seen so many unique and creative ways of explaining all of these things. You can even get ideas on how to explain them to others IC. "I had someone asking me how to unlock a door the other day and they just didn't understand. I told them XYZ. Do you know of a better way to explain it?" Most people are pretty good at working around the inability to go OOC.