Some Advice From My Time Playing [For Newer Players]

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Michael Lynch

Your Dungeon Master
Jan 22, 2020
Florida, USA
twitch.tv
So, with the temporary fix in, I just kinda wanna say welcome to everyone who's about to join.

Now, I wanna just kinda share a couple things, from a perspective of someone who streams to others who may be looking to do the same on this server. First thing is first, take your time. This is not a fast paced, action filled game to RP on like GTA. It is not GTA. Do not think it is like GTA. Even people who have ported their GTA characters over have found that they don't really fit at all in the way they expected and have gone through either major changes or have just simply made new ones, even 'ancestors.'

The most difficult part of getting things going is going to be your first day or two, so I highly recommend not streaming. You're only going to frustrate yourself heavily, because you'll hit every bug that we all faced. Difference is, you won't know the immediate workarounds, which as I just said will frustrate you. Any sliders, please do not shift them back and forth fast. In CG, do not forget to use ALL of the sliders, or you'll wind up with a weird beard you didn't select or a hair you didn't pick, or worse a face you didn't want.

The moment you finish CG, if you get stuck in the CG room, just look around the room. Trust me.

You will start wtih all the money you need to get a solid character, because money does not matter in this server too highly. It becomes unneeded at one point, trust me on this, don't focus on grinding money. The 'best things' don't give any advantage at all, mostly just flair.

For clothing, head to the nearest General Store. You do not start with clothes. So, get ready, we'll all be nostalgic for when we ran naked through the streets when we see you join. <--- UPDATE: YOUR ASS AIN'T STARTING NAKED NO MORE! You begin with basic clothes.

Shitlords/High Action characters seem to not really fit too well. They tend to burn out quickly, as in literally within a week. Don't play for attention from viewers, play for yourself, or you'll literally let yourself down and want to quit. Copbaiting is quick punishment on this server.

If you're in someone's stream but in the server too, even if they're on Server 2 and you're on Server 1, it's a fast track to a bapping from staff. The staff here don't tolerate bull, and have a lot of experience in dealing with bull. "I didn't know" is not an excuse either, as it's even listed in the rules.

No one has priority, not even deputies/marshals. Doesn't matter if you're a donator, a lawman, or a high view streamer. This server don't care, you're all equal and loved together. We all wait in the same line.

Looking forward to running into you either on Deputy Bo, Michael, Sullivan, or any of who I play.

Just please remember too, many stories already exist on the server, be courteous and not rude.

And please, do not linger in Valentine. Explore, especially New Austin. Ree.

Good day everyone,

Dungie

Last edited:

Henry Houser

Wizard
Whitelisted
Dec 27, 2019
Just confirming the clothes thing; characters are now intended to start with clothes. Only those first few generations will know the shame (glory?) of the naked walk from the Valentine hotel. Additionally, not everyone automatically starts in Val anymore.

These points serve as a good reminder that RedM is not a released/stable program, and changes can happen daily. It's not beta. It's not alpha. It's pre-alpha. So when you encounter bugs/crashes and think, "Did no one test this!?" Well, you are the testers! And we thank you for it!!

Joshua JD Holliday

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Mar 15, 2020
I’m a few days new. totally agree with this. I’m a streamer but I’ve held off on streaming until I get my bearings and understand the ins and outs of the game first.

Here are some of the things I learned. The game has a lot of quirks. Some you just have to find work arounds for.

1. You may wake up missing your weapons. Apparently it’s a bug. I had no idea what happened and had 1 coin to my name. so I just roll played that someone stole my weapons while sleeping and a kind soul gave me enough money to rebuy my weapons.

2.Don’t go rummaging through your horse sack. Lol. my horse didn’t like that at all and knocked me the fuck out. Another kind soul found my body and took me to a doctor. So I role played my injuries with a concussion.

3. guns don’t have crosshairs.I’m still struggling to get used to this.

4. Don’t play a piano in a saloon. I get perm stuck in the seat and can’t leave!I make to get up and then sit right back and start playing again. Get stuck in a loop.

5. Picking the mustard colored pants from tailor locks my game.

6. don’t walk away from general store while in store menu. Close menu first or else menus will flicker rapidly forever.

7. don’t rebind the inventory from B key. Else it doesn’t work.

8. can’t seem to repeat bounty quests. It lets me redo mission but the map doesn’t populate the targets.

9. Don’t eat food right next to your horse. At least for me when I select my bread, use, and close the inventory menu I accidentally punch my horse. Happens every time.

10. character creator. Game crashes if I try to pick facial hair beyond slider #3. GFX error. Not really an issue for me since I like mustache 2.

for me, these are the things I wouldn’t want to troubleshoot on stream or embarrass myself stumbling across ruining the RP or immersion. So OP is spot on. Take your time and learn the quirks.

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
10. character creator. Game crashes if I try to pick facial hair beyond slider #3. GFX error. Not really an issue for me since I like mustache 2.
As an aside I believe this is due to the graphics engine you're running... Either Vulkan or DX12 some drivers have issues with this