Criminal Roleplay / Law Enforcement Roleplay Discussion [2020/11/28 6pm ET]

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mato Hanska

Wild West Legend
Permanently Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Heyo, it might already get touched on with some of the other topics but I'd really like to talk about the overuse of plea deals to the point they've almost become unrealistic and OP

Um... you are aware like 90% of real criminal cases in the US never go to actual trial because of plea deals? The reasoning for this is the prosecutor does not have infinite budget and going through a trial costs a lot of money... so they’ll offer deals to the accused to plea guilty to lesser offenses that can definitely be proven in exchange for lesser sentences. Judges can always reject the plea deal but they rarely do. It could be that they even flip a criminal on a bigger fish and prior to RICO being introduce, letting a flunky go inexchange for testimony against a gang leader was the go to method for dealing with organized crimes.

Rose Montgomery

Cowboy
Whitelisted

Topics I feel should be brought up:​

• Criminal accountability and appropriate punishment/value of life -- if a criminal is doing crime repeatedly and they just keep going to Sisika or being detained at what point do we make them have life in prison? Actions have consequences. The amount of crims I've seen that do some of the worst crimes to just go about their day-to-day like a trip to Sisika was nothing is surprising to me. While I understand it is the persons choice to perma a character, I feel we should be more mindful of our actions and the severity of punishment should be reviewed. We are in the year 1899 and criminals doing things such as mass murdering, stealing horses, repeated bank robberies, etc. would result in hanging, electric chair, or life in prison. Why are we not valuing more of our lives and why are criminals not being held more accountable for their actions? Right now it just feels like a subtle slap on the wrist and that unfortunately doesn't always resonate the way we mean it to. ---- This is not to say that I feel stealing horses or bank robberies should result in life in Sisika, HOWEVER -- a mass murdering, cannibalist, kidnapper/torturer should be held at a higher punishment rating and if repeated over and over and over again should be considered worse punishments on a sliding scale. Eventually could lead to life in sisika if not okay with being permad by hangning/electric chair as it would be more appropriate for 1899. -------

• Proper use of Bounty Hunters and why it seems (recently) that the deputies seem to keep all cases that would be great bounties to themselves and never do anything with them -- Right now as it stands, we have 3 bounties of characters that are nowhere to be found. (one even jokingly named Slim Pickings) I haven't seen an update from the deputies on any recent criminal activities and I feel as if there are several criminals that could be outlawed, or have high or even reasonable bounties. It would make for great story telling and rp on a lot of different levels. it would give the bounty hunters something to do since they are currently not doing much at all in the realm of bounty hunting. Why is it that it seems that sort of crime is being kept for the deputies and the deputies only? How do we plan on rectifying this so a bounty hunter can actually be useful within New Alexandria?

Last edited:

Wesley Webb

Lover of Bowties
Permanently Banned
Oct 19, 2020
Also i think we should keep in mind this is 1899 not 2020 so how things are in the legal system now might not have been back then and we shouldn't try to force it to be when we can.

Jack Venable

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2020
Texas
Just as a point of fact @Rose Robinson, we (the Deputies) don't control which cases go to the Bounty Hunters. That is the Dept of Justice.

That may be a little too 'inside baseball' but I wanted you to have all the facts before the meeting so that you can push your suggestions in the right direction ma'am.

Cheers.

Miguel Sanchez

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Apr 6, 2020
UK
www.twitch.tv
I would like to attend if I'm not busy RPing or doing other IRL stuff but I would like to touch on a few things that I have experienced whilst playing Miguel Sanchez and my alt and from seeing things in general on the server either in people's streams or on things recounted to me OOC and things I have learnt IC too.

1. There is a lot of IC talk about and abuse of the "number of 6" rule where it is clear that both LEOs and criminals are discussing the numbers of their own group in relation to the group that they are trying to apprehend in terms of LEOs or kidnap etc in terms of crims. It's a big "no" for me to hear about people saying "Oh they outnumber us, we shouldn't do this" IC or generally riding around in groups which make it untouchable for either LEOs or criminals to interact with. I have watched several people's streams recently from POVs of LEOs and also criminals and if they do not have the numbers to over-power the other groups they often discuss it IC and then say they can't do anything about it.

I've had personal experience of this through being a member of the Colts where we had people try to outnumber us or comment about the numbers of people we rode around with or spent time at the homestead on an "inactive" level (e.g. we were not engaging in criminal activity, just talking with friends of the Colts etc) which includes LEOs, criminals and civilians alike. This is also true of seeing people in chats of other streamers who play LEOs or criminals etc that are saying things to the streamer about "Oh you won't catch xyz group with less than 6 people" and these are members of the community that play on the server. I've personally witnessed IC and OOC dozens of instances where people even ask "How many of you are there here?" to try and gauge if any rules are being infringed upon etc. This is a no-no and should not be the prime factor on whether you try and commit a crime, interact with or arrest someone etc. It's becoming more common to hear about people talking of "rule-play" around the number of 6 in reports and IC on the server and it shouldn't be discussed in this manner in my opinion. It is also entirely possible to hold up a group with fewer members than the opposition, you just have to be clever about it!

2. Severity of crimes is not truly reflected and perhaps there needs to be adjustment to the time people serve for more severe crimes - honestly the fact that aggravated assault or other similar crimes like armed robbery along with extra charges on top like obstruction etc amount to more than a single charge of murder does is kind of bizarre and I feel this NEEDS to be addressed. There should be more encouragement for people to perma characters that have continually killed, robbed, assaulted, tortured and been otherwise engaged in the more nefarious activity available on the server. I understand that it is our choice to perma a character and we can choose when we do this but I am honestly tired of seeing and hearing about people handing themselves in with high-level crimes like torture, murder, attempted murder, armed robbery etc and getting a slap on the wrist to go and do it all again with no actual reform or change to their character's RP.

Are we seriously suggesting that people who murder and torture others would not be on some kind of "final warning" that next time they hand themselves in for a crime (which I will come onto again here in a separate point) or get caught they will be pushed towards soft/hard perma of their character? We all understand as a criminal or even as LEO/civilians, if you murder someone or torture someone in this time period you would be executed. Let alone doing it multiple times and then handing yourself in to effectively clear your warrants and then do it all again.

3. Handing yourself in for crimes should not be looked upon more favourably and give lighter sentences to people. If you are playing an "outlaw" my opinion is that you should not be handing yourself in to get lower time to be served. This is completely against my idea of what an outlaw is about and I know of many examples where this idea of handing yourself in has been abused and I have even done so myself when I have been told about warrants for Miguel. I'm sure everyone can think of people or groups this applies to and I am in no way pointing fingers at anybody in particular but it is far too common to see even the most serious outlaw groups doing this where they rack up 1000s of months worth of crimes, hand themselves in and then serve (reduced) time in Sisika and even taking the soft-max of 180 minutes just so they can do this rinse-repeat crime over again. That is not how someone would realistically operate in my eyes - you know that 1000s of months worth of crime would equal death, either in Sisika because you're so old or by death-sentence, why would you hand yourself in other than to abuse the system?

I have recently seen examples of people who should have served 100+ months being given sentences of 60 or even less from some LEOs. I am also aware before anyone states it that I have done this myself, however I did this both times for IC reasons and acted as my character would do because they were encouraged to serve the warrants for various reasons. I would note that the one time I did get a large warrant (215 months) which was cut down from 550 months I opted to serve the 215 months despite being given the option of the soft-max of 180 months. I did that because I feel like that kind of time served should affect my character's RP, which it undoubtedly has.

I feel like the soft-max of 180 months needs to be taken away from people entirely and that the crimes need an overhaul in terms of the amount of time each crime carries. Also there needs to be a sign of reform from repeat offenders or some sort of policy whereby if you hand yourself in/get caught for crimes you commit you are pushed further towards perma for that character until a point is reached where next time it's perma, like it or not.

4. Permitted group "roster" size should be limited and less criminal cooperation and alliances between groups that do crime should be seen, in my mind. There have historically been large groups exceeding 20+ members both that are active currently and in the past and I think it is disabling the potential RP for LEOs and civilians alike. If every group is left to recruit whoever they want and continue to add numbers I can see there will be issues with servers literally being taken up by entirely criminal groups having to abide by the rule of 6 and riding around together constantly. This stunts other's RP and often means that LEOs struggle to do their jobs because the groups in question outnumber them vastly and it's nigh on impossible to catch them alone without severe repercussions. Like I mentioned earlier, this should not turn into rule-play and hiding behind numbers, either for civilians, LEOs or criminals constantly where we see civilian groups staying together, groups of criminals staying in their group of 6 and LEOs basically unable to ride alone or in small groups because it's too easy for gangs to outnumber them over and over.

It is my feeling that there needs to be a maximum number for a gang's roster and that some of the large groups that we see need to slim down the roster - and yes I am fully aware I was in one of those large groups and still count them as my friends both OOC and IC - but there need to be limitations placed on how much people can recruit as servers will soon fill with just gangs and the odd civilian here and there (so no wonder they have to stay in groups!) and LEOs making up the rest. As an aside I know of people who left the community because of super-groups and I do not want to see more people go that way.

5. The trend of gun-play over role-play and using guns to "incapacitate" when you may not actually want to kill someone needs to stop. I see SO many people riding around with guns out constantly, searching for people to rob or to be prepared for a hostile situation. I've legit seen people riding around aiming and it's clear that the intention is always to create hostile RP. Hostile RP is great when it's done right and done well but civilians to crims and even LEOs are often seen riding around with guns out because of the anticipation of gangs etc attacking them or another group getting the jump on them and a perceived fear of "losing" a scenario because you weren't prepared.

In terms of using guns to incapacitate someone by shooting them this is just a terrible trend which needs to end. Why not give someone a severe beating, knocking them unconscious? Why not leave them tied up in the desert somewhere after taking things off them and leaving them with just some water? Why do you need to shoot them is my question. As someone who reads a lot of the player reports it seems a common thing that people use weapons where they could have made better RP by using words. There are too many people prepared to go for their guns as soon as someone says something they don't like. Even duels which should be seriously considered, perma-highly-likely situations, are being made a mockery of because people have a "friendly" duel and then go and have a beer over it afterwards. Duels by 1899 were pretty rare, I am fairly certain, and any such duels taking place would likely have resulted in death for one or possibly both parties. It's been discussed before but let's see an end to this thinking or a change towards the seriousness of using weapons.

I appreciate every single person on this server but none of us are perfect - hopefully with considered discussion and changes to some of our RP we can move forwards and create an even more enjoyable server for everyone to play on. Hope to be able to make it to the discussion if invited but otherwise I wanted to get at least some of my thoughts down so they can be discussed or looked over for consideration.

Last edited:

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
duels which should be seriously considered, perma-highly-likely situations, are being made a mockery of because people have a "friendly" duel and then go and have a beer over it afterwards
I'm not going to cover much of your post because the discussion is tomorrow, but we've said time and time and time again that this should be reported. If you are seeing this happen report it. If you see it happen on a stream open a ticket and report it. People have been issued bans and warning points for this. It's unacceptable already. There's nothing that needs to change beyond people reporting it.

Reactions: Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Apr 6, 2020
UK
www.twitch.tv
I'm not going to cover much of your post because the discussion is tomorrow, but we've said time and time and time again that this should be reported. If you are seeing this happen report it. If you see it happen on a stream open a ticket and report it. People have been issued bans and warning points for this. It's unacceptable already. There's nothing that needs to change beyond people reporting it.

Apologies - should have clarified, I was talking moreso about incidents I had seen in reports that were filed and dealt with previously but I have heard of things IC too that I can not be sure were reported and as I wasn't involved directly or witness to those events I can't make a report not knowing what the actual situation was etc. I will always make a report where I feel it is necessary and I have proof of the things I am reporting and appreciate the reporting system for what it is! =]

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
Apologies - should have clarified, I was talking moreso about incidents I had seen in reports that were filed and dealt with previously but I have heard of things IC too that I can not be sure were reported and as I wasn't involved directly or witness to those events I can't make a report not knowing what the actual situation was etc. I will always make a report where I feel it is necessary and I have proof of the things I am reporting and appreciate the reporting system for what it is! =]
No problem. I just wanted to clarify. I hear a lot about this type of thing happening but it seldom gets reported. It's important for everyone to remember that things don't change on their own, and everyone has to be part of the effort to keep our RP quality high. Part of that is reporting folks especially for stuff like this. Wasn't trying to ream you for not reporting specifically.

Reactions: Miguel Sanchez

Tegan Hannibal

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
May 2, 2020
First of all: exaggeration promotes understanding - I am not meaning everyone in these points I would like to make.

While we're having a debate on law/crims I feel vigilantism needs to be adressed. Many people wants to be the hero, in everybodys story. It's getting unbearable.

Criminals ride around proud, circle-jerking while they claim to have a moral code - Then they shoot someone who's in trouble with the law and work with the lawmen. What?

Lawmen has made it their sole purpose in life to literally end discussions, ride across the state, finally reaching their target and say: "Keep it to a trot" before riding all the way back and complain about how boring the day is.

Vigilantes just stand still in either the Rhodes saloon or on the porch of Valentine and as soon as somebody robs the store they come a-charging like vultures who has finally spotted a carcass ready to feed from it. Rotten.

Civilians who just play "regular" folk are godsent - It's so nice to actually meet normal human beings who sometimes just asks for a little favor or just want to chit chat! (Lookin' at you - Liberty soon-to-be Hollister)

But all of these four categories has the one and same flaw: No one wants to lose face.

It has come to the point where all the above categories just seems to be afraid of letting go of the reins and be a support-character for a change. Everybody has become the super detective that knows everything and are afraid to take chances - Because they might lose face and then their eRep would be tarnished.

A point that has been brought up several times as well - The ruleplay and close to OOC comments needs to stop!
- If a gang rides up to a rival gang that are holding some sort of event, a celebration perhaps ( they carved their initials on a badger, woohoo ) if the rival gang then rides up with an intention to stir shit up you don't get to say: "Here we are! With our favorite gun loadout consisting of a shotty and rifle, ready to fucking end you..... but erhm.. quick question.. are you more than 6 around here?" NO! That's not how RP works! Choose your fights!
With that being said there will of course be rule-breaks but don't address them IC! Take the loss and sort it out afterwards.
(If there's something I've learned during my stay here; everything can and will be resorted peacefully and you can even reach out to staff to mediate solutions!)

John Ram

Cowboy
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Mar 16, 2020
I want to elaborate more on what Rose Robinson posted. I was skeptical on saying anything or bringing up my concerns/suggestions regarding bounty hunting, but I feel it is something I should bring up.

The History of Bounty Hunting

In the 1800s, when the faces of the most wanted criminals could be seen on posters throughout towns, sheriffs offered a reward, or bounty, to whomever returned the accused to the courts. The most daring of men would hunt down the missing criminals and became known as bounty hunters.

In the 1873 Supreme Court case, Taylor v. Taintor, it was ruled that bounty hunters would formally be representatives of bail bondsmen and could legally hunt criminals who skipped bail, giving them the right to arrest that individual.

Today, bounty hunters are usually employed by bail bondsmen and are paid around 10% of the total bail upon returning their fugitive. Bounty hunters tend to be very effective, returning upward of 90% of their targets.

As I see it now, there is work for the bounty hunters, but just not being offered to them. With the recent post on the notice board of the crime rate in New Alexandria, I noticed that these criminals should have been "WANTED". I know of a number of bounty hunters, both licensed and unlicensed, and there is very little for us to do. The wanted poster in the discord has been there for over a month and from what I gather, none of the bounty hunters, or anyone in the state, knows anything about these people, or have not seen them in quite some time. This leaves the bounty hunters chasing ghosts while at the same time, there are dangerous outlaws that in my opinion, and in the opinion of others, should be "WANTED".

Receiving a telegram from a judge yesterday stating that, "due to a recent uprising in injuries to deputies" being the cause of delay for bounty hunter's license being handed out sort of defeats the purpose of having bounty hunters. I also like to state that my bounty hunter test has been pending grading for 3 months. It also states in the bounty hunters handbook, "We will gladly risk you to catch these criminals without threatening a valuable LEO life."

So apparently, according to the telegram, due to the recent increase in deputy injuries, this is delaying bounty hunters from receiving their license. That could be EASILY prevented by licensing more bounty hunters and taking LEOs out of the line of fire. I think a lot of these problems can be solved and partially helped by licensing more bounty hunters and making the information on wanted criminals more accessible to them.

All in all, bounty hunters need more RP.

*edit*
I would like to also add Article 1, Section 1, and Article 1 Section 2 of the Constitution and Laws, 'Wanted' and 'Outlaw' Laws, Bounty Hunting Laws

Last edited:

Henry Knight

Wild West Legend
Permanently Banned
May 19, 2020
Not too sure if this has been mentioned but when it comes to firearms Rockstar actually did a really good job of balancing the weapons and gunplay, now while i'm not advocating for implementing the scoped weapons into the server, I think that more of the firearms available in the game get implemented to the server and I would definitely like this matter to be discussed later tonight.

edit: the reason I would like this brought up is because it is something that affects the PVP meta on the server.

edit 2: PVP meta, affects the LEO, Criminal interactions in the server.

Last edited:
  • Confused
Reactions: John Ram
Status
Not open for further replies.