Guide: Roleplaying with a Doctor

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Cain McKenna

The Good Doctor
Whitelisted
Silver Supporter
Retired Staff
Feb 2, 2020
Guide to medrp

This guide is intended for the time of RDR:O, treatments during those times would not fly in modern times, this is an initial draft, which will be expanded upon with input from others

Hello, I’m not one for words so let's go

This is a guide for roleplaying with a doctor or other medical character, please note that there is a lot of /me usage, so if that's not your thing, i advise you don't get injured in any way whatsoever

Arrival on the scene

Once you have arrived to wherever a doctor may be, he will do one of two things depending on the situation:

Ask verbally what happened to bring you to him, the conversation would go as follows

EXAMPLE
Dr: Can I help you there?
You: hey doc, i took a bullet to the arm
Dr: well it doesn't look too bad seeing as you’re walking around, why don't you come into the back and we’ll get it looked at

You and the Doctor walk into examination

Dr: /me inspects the wound, looking closely with a candle to see if he can see the bullet

PLEASE NOTE, it is entirely up to you how you proceed, a doctor cannot tell you what is wrong with you, as that would be powergaming, a typical response would be as follows

You: /me has a bullet lodged into the right/left bicep and is bleeding
OR
You: /me has an entry and exit wound from the bullet going straight through and is bleeding

Now, the doctor will take over the treatment, either removing the bullet or patching you up to get you back out into the world and RP’ing again. At this point the Dr will tell you how to take care of the wound, and will use treatments from the time period.
As there is currently no healing mechanic in server, the best your doctor can do for you to heal you is give you some bread and water, in the guise of getting something in your belly and getting some rest

Scenario 2: you get downed in the wild
If you are downed in the wild, alone, please RP out your injuries until the respawn timer finishes, this gives ample time for you to be found

If you are with a friend, that friend may load you into a wagon or onto the back of the horse and return you to town for treatment. please do not respawn until the MedRP scenario has finished with the Doctor dumping you on a bed to "get some rest until you're ready to walk around"

If the scenario that you get downed in the wild includes a friendly character nearby that finds you, have them run back to a doctor in a nearby town, the doctor will get some early information and bring their wagon to come treat on scene. This is to ensure /me’s can be seen as the camera will be locked in the location you were downed in. If you were moved to the doctors office, but the camera stays where you were downed, you wouldnt be able to see the doctor’s /me’s

The doctor will treat you on scene, and will load your body into the wagon to return you to town for recovery, as there is no /respawn mechanic at this time. This will change once the mechanic is finished

If you know there is a doctor on staff in a nearby town or on their way, do not respawn mid-rp, as this would be considered failrp, if there is no doctor, finish the current scenario, respawn, RP out your injuries and continue as normal.

If you are downed alone, with no chance of rescue, you are free to respawn, but you are required to head to a doctors office to have your wounds checked out IC-ly, RP it as if you had regained conciousness and managed to get yourself to safety to be seen and treated

Paying for medical treatment:

Note: Treatment and general checkups are charged at a rate set by the doctor. If knocked out/unconscious, these are not charged as they are 'possible life threatening situations.'

Sidenote, Anyone who roleplays their wrong injuries (like a gunshot wound downed you, but you say you tripped and fell on a rock) will have a player report submitted about them on the forum, as that is considered FailRP

I will write a treatment guide for doctors at another time

Last edited:

Michael Lynch

Your Dungeon Master
Jan 22, 2020
Florida, USA
twitch.tv
May I say also, if you don't know how to RP an injury, DM us and we can OOC walk you through symptoms/injuries that may fit your situation but we will never say you MUST have this injury or anything like that. Anything to help your RP improve, that's what we wanna do.

Reactions: Cain McKenna

Cain McKenna

The Good Doctor
Whitelisted
Silver Supporter
Retired Staff
Feb 2, 2020
Amended Feb 20/2020 to reflect the changes made to the downed ped camera