'OOC Speak' in RP - Suggestions

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Michael Lynch

Your Dungeon Master
Jan 22, 2020
Florida, USA
twitch.tv
Hello folks,

One thing that has always hung with me in every environment I've RPed in is the way players IC speak to each other in regards to OOC situations. This goes in line with teaching each other mechanics that are hard to explain, being distracted IRL, being interrupted IRL, and other things of this manner. Now, some of this stuff is needed to be said, you don't just want to leave people guessing at what you're doing if you suddenly go standing there silently. A few things I'd like to mention though, and possibly offer alternative ways of doing. I'll admit too, the purpose I am making this post is a selfish one. I personally always get thrown off hearing people say 'Flex your E muscle' to do something, or similar things. It's a little pet peeve of mine. Also things like 'I need to go into my head' just sound strange in an RP environment. Thing is though, there really isn't a way to share stuff like that too.

Now, what I'm gonna be suggesting here isn't an excuse for ignoring RP and paying attention to your stream. I feel it's rude to be caught up in your stream when someone is talking to you and RPing with you right there, as that's a mutual moment. If someone subs/donates, I am sure they don't mind you thanking them when the RP slows down. But anyway, on to what I was wanting to suggest.

So, I'm going to offer common phrases that get thrown around in RP to explain something OOC to someone IC, in an attempt to not break immersion. I'm going to offer then an alternative instead, something that may sound a lot more fitting. These are examples, no you don't have to follow a single one of them either. This is just things I try to do, and thought I'd share them.

----

This first one is the one I see the most. Typically it's to assist someone learning a mechanic. I'll use the most typical one. Now, it just sounds weird hearing that no matter which way you spin it. Instead, try this, and yes this only would work if the other person understands you're trying to use phonetics to get your point across. I've heard variations of this every which way, but this is to give a guideline or an idea to try something different than just the outright base idea.

- "Flex your E muscle." -> "You need to Exert yourself."

Other suggestions: R -> Reflex, F -> Focus/Fists/Force, I -> Insight/Intuition, G - Grit, U - Up

----

This next one is to assist a bit in demonstrating to someone the use of /pvp. This can be either before a fight or simply telling them how to get on a horse/wagon without getting kicked off. I've heard it used many times in a way before, this is simply another alternative.

- "Be friendly/unfriendly" -> "Look him in the eye and be sure you like him or not."

----

Now, this final one for now is actually one that does catch me quite a bit when I hear it in RP. In some circumstances when you're dealing with timers/countdowns when doing an action, would you feel you know exactly how long it would take to do something? I personally wouldn't think you'd know exactly how long it would take, but you'd have a 'general feeling' due to how 'difficult' it would be. Put some spin on it, have some fun with it. Not only would this keep yourself immersed but anyone there either helping you or hindering you.

- "I have 30 seconds left to go!" -> "I think I'm almost done..."
- "We're gonna be here for 100 seconds." -> "This is really difficult, it's going to take me a while, watch my back."

----

Going AFK/BRB is always difficult to do, especially when the RP is hot. Now, this one is for people to translate on their own into what fits a scenario, but I don't feel just saying "I need to go into my head for a bit" feels good in an RP environment. Find an IC excuse, and ironically we have one of the better emotes to allow us to do that too. Actually, 3 of them.

If you're in a casual scenario, even if you're going to go grab something, the Pee emote is your friend. Bathroom breaks IC are the easiest excuse to go do something OOC. Now, let me show you 2 other emotes that give just as much leeway.

The Guard 1 and Guard 2 emotes are golden to 'go keep an eye out' or 'I need to go check something out.' Not only is the pose static and nice, but it keeps you involved in the RP while you go take care of something.

A final word on this, just simply tipping off your fellow RPers that you are gonna take a moment to enjoy your cigarette/cigar/pipe too work. Or that you forgot to write something down. All of these are great alternatives instead of saying "Sorry, I was in my head." You'd just wind up sounding crazy saying that all of the time in my opinion. Hell, even just saying "Sorry, I was daydreaming." sounds better.

----

Now sometimes, your model does have issues you can't see. Be it instancing, stuck items, etc. That's part of life in a pre-alpha mod. Some of these are easy, such as items stuck to your hand being removed by taking out your knife and putting it away. For clothing/model issues though, I like to tell people "Go find yourself some water and get yourself all freshened up." or simply "Refresh yourself with a swig of whiskey." I'm trying to tip them off to /loadskin or /loadclothing.

----

This is just some basic ones I see pop up often, and like I said this post itself is more me making observations and offering alternatives for a bit of a more fun spin on roleplay. I'm not here trying to tell you how to do your own thing, there are all different kinds of RPers online. These are just some suggestions, and it's up to you to give them a try if you like. If I see any other things I can add I will, and if there are any suggestions too or ways you'd like to know how to explain IC, hell, post it. I'll put a spin on it.

Bottom line is: Who says you have to say the exacts? Put a veil over it and make it RP rather than mechanic.

Last edited:

Cain McKenna

The Good Doctor
Whitelisted
Silver Supporter
Retired Staff
Feb 2, 2020
Also, just to add. I would advise against referring to the server restart as a storm, back in those days predicting weather wasn't a common thing. I usually refer to it as a curfew

EDIT: added against

Reactions: Augustus Phelgood

Cain McKenna

The Good Doctor
Whitelisted
Silver Supporter
Retired Staff
Feb 2, 2020
No, you're right, BC they were looking at the skys

Jâcque Rouillard

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Feb 19, 2020
I just go piss in a shitter personnaly (I know the real name is (something)house but I don't know the something part sorry for the vulgar name

Augustus Phelgood

Cowboy
Whitelisted
Silver Supporter
Jul 24, 2020
An Outhouse, because it's outside
Outhouse for sure. It was also called a water closet, but more commonly the WC. One must maintain propriety at all times! When I’m at work IRL, we’re kind of required to let other staff know when we’re going somewhere that we’ll be unavailable for a moment, and when I have to go drop a deuce I say, “I have to go do my paperwork.” Depending on who I’m working with.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
Devil's Advocate for the storms: The way I've handled it has been refering to them as the big storms, since a lot of places (Including Valentine) are hit with storms to which I can literally set my watch too. Even without weather forecasting, gut intuition as you get used to a region will help you figure out how weather plays out. Where I live now I can usually gauge the day of the week by the weather because its almost scheduled. (Especially weekends, damn storms.) I even jokingly say in character that I can set my watch by the storm to try to alleviate as much OOC about it as I can and more just make it a matter of fact speech.

But I do feel people need to be more creative in their OOC mechanics terminology. The E/R/F/Etc. Muscle always bugged me. Hell I told someone how to strip their weapons with the quote: "What, you've never put your weapons on your hourse EFFORE?" (I.E. a weird way to say before but try to hint to the F4 key.) Getting a quick answer isn't always needed either, you can take your time to figure out how to say it.

Though I still struggle to explain /pvp without having to say "Person versus person" because itis SO not helpful.

Delia McCall

Cowboy
Permanently Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Canada BC
www.twitch.tv
This is debated in a similar thread of suggestions about when you need consent to torture some one elses char and such as and you can't use ooc ig.

Just add looc which players can toggle off if they hate ooc SO MUCH that they don't want to see it. That why new players can ask somewhere ig, and get proper answers instead of every one being all awkward and all 'flex this, think about the letter G, jump instead of flexing your E' and such as. Which people waste MORE time trying to explain mechanics 'icly' then it would take for a ooc chat box to appear and fade out with straight to the point question/answers.

IDK why its so difficult for people to accept looc or some form of ooc chat is needed just for these situations. Every other roleplay outlet has some form of ooc like ahelps, looc, ooc, and such as. At least in my experience from dayz, gta, which fivem is basically redm.

Mato Hanska

Wild West Legend
Permanently Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Devil's Advocate for the storms: The way I've handled it has been refering to them as the big storms, since a lot of places (Including Valentine) are hit with storms to which I can literally set my watch too. Even without weather forecasting, gut intuition as you get used to a region will help you figure out how weather plays out. Where I live now I can usually gauge the day of the week by the weather because its almost scheduled. (Especially weekends, damn storms.) I even jokingly say in character that I can set my watch by the storm to try to alleviate as much OOC about it as I can and more just make it a matter of fact speech.

But I do feel people need to be more creative in their OOC mechanics terminology. The E/R/F/Etc. Muscle always bugged me. Hell I told someone how to strip their weapons with the quote: "What, you've never put your weapons on your hourse EFFORE?" (I.E. a weird way to say before but try to hint to the F4 key.) Getting a quick answer isn't always needed either, you can take your time to figure out how to say it.

Though I still struggle to explain /pvp without having to say "Person versus person" because itis SO not helpful.

I'll back up the weather frequency here... When I lived in Florida, there was rain usually around 1500 local time daily in the summer (Florida has two seasons, Wet and Less Wet. In a 3 dimensional cube, it's boarderd by water, water, water, water, water, and Georgia... low water table and the fact it's almost always raining.). I do make a habit of saying that the storms are blowing in, without a percision of time... I RP it as a calm before the storm is occurring.

Levi Zimmer

Traveler
Whitelisted
Aug 28, 2020
Like I've seen a lot of server having /b or /occ to the local chat, it can be used to advice the other players to RP or get back to RP.

But using it un-necessarily can ruin the RP, but it would be great so people won't have to mix the RP with the real world issues.

Mato Hanska

Wild West Legend
Permanently Banned
Jul 13, 2020
I just go piss in a shitter personnaly (I know the real name is (something)house but I don't know the something part sorry for the vulgar name

Yeah. Presently my BF doesn’t drive so I have to take him too or drop him off at work which normally happens while I’m in game. It’s 5 minutes to his work via car so all rolled up I may be AFK for 15 minutes. Best thing I found to do is go to the outhouses behind the saloon and park my character in there. Not only do I stay well hidden (once saw an outlaw hogtie a deputy and completely miss me when I came back... only to fail the rescue because deputy was hostage 8 of soon to be 9.) It’s also perfectly explains the situation to people who see me meaning the awkward “attempt to RP with someone who is in his head” moment is handled. People don’t talk to you when you’re in the outhouse.

This does work better for the men folk as it can be difficult for ladies to perform the sit in space in the outhouse (Mato only just squeezes under the doorframe so it’s hard to line up in there from my POV. Rhodes outhouse has a bit more room though). It’s also funny to come back to see breathtaking cinematic shots of you sitting in the outhouse.

• Haha
Reactions: Augustus Phelgood

Augustus Phelgood

Cowboy
Whitelisted
Silver Supporter
Jul 24, 2020
I'll back up the weather frequency here... When I lived in Florida, there was rain usually around 1500 local time daily in the summer (Florida has two seasons, Wet and Less Wet. In a 3 dimensional cube, it's boarderd by water, water, water, water, water, and Georgia... low water table and the fact it's almost always raining.). I do make a habit of saying that the storms are blowing in, without a percision of time... I RP it as a calm before the storm is occurring.
I immediately thought of Florida when I read this thread.