Respecting Transgender Players

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Genevieve Green

Wild West Legend
Whitelisted
Jun 13, 2022
Stockholm, Sweden
www.twitch.tv
I also want to add - IT'S OKAY IF YOU MAKE MISTAKES!

As a transperson myself I make a lot of mistakes and I'm still trying to unlearn the social norms and codes we're fostered into. We all slip up every once in a while, and that's okay. It's human. Even if I go by they/them pronouns it's still something I'm trying to use more often as well, both when talking to or about others. As many have said, if you make a mistake just don't make a big deal out of it, correct and move on with the rp.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the person behind the character as well if you want to make sure the rp you provide is comfortable with them (such as using gendered titles or what not). I think most people would appreciate the effort of making sure the rp is okay and not triggering, and talk it out together as to how you can improve the quality of rp.

Sylvie Selkirk

Cowboy
Sheriff's Office Recruit
Whitelisted
Jun 26, 2023
This thread was actually one of the things that convinced me to apply to the whitelist here, being trans myself I needed to feel sure that I wasn't going to have to deal with people making a big stink over my voice when I play female characters. So this thread was basically the deciding factor for me, I really appreciate everyone who's shared their thoughts here, and I want to thank all the people I've interacted with in this community for being inclusive and accepting.

I'm super biased ofc, but personally I think this thread should be pinned, it's very very good

Kaahche

Gunslinger
Department of Prisons
Whitelisted
Silver Supporter
May 19, 2020
An oldie but a goldie
I've responded to this thread a while back but it's a good one to bump again.

As a trans man I love how welcoming this community is for trans and queer people.
We all understand that we aim for historical accuracy but also say to hell with the bigotry that came with the time period. That's what makes it historical fantasy in my opinion, like an alt-timeline. But let's be honest, the actual historical wild west was pretty gay.
Those of you that know my character Birdie, know that he is mute and have prolly never heard my actual voice. Before Birdie there was Dawson McGath, local doctor and tailor. It took a lot of encouragement to voice him before I started taking testosterone but even then I had plenty of supportive people. These days I am a year on T now, I may get back into a vocal character at some point. Then y'all are just gonna be subjected to the same amount of flirting just vocalized.

For anyone in this server, please continue to support and encourage trans players and characters. It means a lot to feel welcomed in a rp time period that would do so otherwise if kept 100% accurate.

Roberta Cunningham

Wild West Legend
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Feb 11, 2023
I thought I had posted in this thread before. And after reading the newer comments I realized I had not.

In the real world. I am a Trans ENBY type person. And I want to say how much I appreciated WWRP, this thread. And the rest of the "family" that has posted or shared experiences with me in-game and out.

Everyone knows I play Roberta. and she is her own unique entity. What many do not know is that I sometimes play a couple of different alts and get to express other parts of my own identity and RP creativeness through them, though Roberta does take 90% of my available time. (They are secret!)

I cannot express how much this means to me. To be able to have a creative and open outlet to let loose and enjoy myself.

And then outside the game to have a community and staff that is not tolerant of hate, bigotry, or <insert phobia here>.

It's I love this community and I hope you all know that as part of this community, you get a small part of that love.

:D