Runoff for State Rep Third Seat

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Run-off for Third Rep Seat (Beaumonte v. Ryder)

• Yes

Votes: 105 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 42 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
In the most recent election there was a tie for the third seat between Elylida Beaumonte and Ramona Ryder. This was determined by a dice roll as the "50/50" option to deciding the election. This is what is done in real life and was decided by the people that created the election system. But since there has been a lot of outrage about this, I will let the community determine if they want to go to a run-off for State Reps too. I'll leave this open for 24 hrs.

Jack Valentine

Gunslinger
Permanently Banned
Apr 18, 2020
My opinion, may not be popular.

Article 2, Section 3, clause 2 can be interpreted that the Governor may decide the result in a tie. It doe not say how that decision is to be made.

A coin flip / dice roll is a valid option if the Governor decided it so.

And people contested this. Loudly. Democracy.

Jack Venable

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2020
Texas
As unpopular as this might be, I'd vote NO because this is the incentive to campaign harder -- to meet every voter, to shake every hand, to express all the nuances of one's campaign, to swing that one extra vote; to avoid chance and ensure victory.

If this was the process from the start (and still is IRL in many states in 2020) so be it.

Charlie Saltwell

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Apr 4, 2020
North East England
So I don't see why the decision should be overturned... I wasn't aware that America went by a coin toss in these situations. Here in the UK when we voted for Brexit the vote didn't win by a significant margin but it won, people wanted a re-vote but the government said no as that's not how politics and our voting works... So what I'm trying to say is Hayes and the Management team decided to follow the process in America in these circumstances, so the decision from the coin toss should stand, not everyone is going to agree but you can't please everyone.

Stick to decisions and the process of things otherwise people will always try to overturn them!

Josie Erickson

Ayaya Intensifies!
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Retired Staff
Apr 20, 2020
Seattle
www.Twitch.tv
I personally believe this should stay in character without admin intervention. Unless, you truly believe this damages the integrity of the server.

I believe the only federalized part of this, is that the correct steps are taken to overthrow the current governed decision.

*EDIT* How they are roleplaying it out right now is fantastic. I just hope everyone keeps it all IC and doesnt take too much of this personally OOC.

Georgia Banks

Cowboy
Whitelisted
Mar 13, 2020
British Columbia, Canada
www.twitch.tv
Honestly, after some quick research, this is not unheard of.

I think we should keep it IC, let the upset be IC and deal with it IC.

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
Honestly, after some quick research, this is not unheard of.

I think we should keep it IC, let the upset be IC and deal with it IC.

Yes, this system was based off of real-world situations where a tie was broken by a 50/50 game of chance, as both representatives had the same amount of votes and an equal chance at "winning" the seat. That was the entire intent of doing it the way we've done it because it was a multiple-elected seat rather than a winner-takes-all like the Governorship which explicitly went to a runoff if no candidate reached 50%+1.

This doesn't address what happens if there is a second or third tie, both very unlikely circumstances but so is a tie in the first place. Ultimately the community was very upset and very vocal in their response to how it was handled rather than letting the RP that was actively happening pan out (to be fair, I wasn't aware either but I had an idea when Clint called an emergency meeting). Ultimately it would have still been the people electing the representative, as both representatives had 103 people vote for them.

Elections were never meant to lead to what they lead to tonight. Both myself and @Frank Devine spent a lot of time designing the electoral system early in this year to ensure that we even had a system, something that most communities don't offer (especially not a dual-representative/governor system, or one that can make impact decisions on the IC course of the server). How quickly this got taken OOC by people who weren't even the candidates effected (they both kept it IC) has really opened my eyes to say the least. I'm sorry everything turned out the way it did and I'm sorry that it's come to this, but it was clear that the pitchforks were out and it had to go to the community to make a decision.

Richard Hart

De Facto Mayor
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Retired Staff
May 21, 2020
OOC - I think a coin flip / dice roll is a reasonable solution as it makes sense IC.
IC - Hart would think it's a ridiculous concept. So I vote with my character's decision, as it should be.

*Meanwhile, silently makes a character called Dennis who advocates for an Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune*

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
OOC - I think a coin flip / dice roll is a reasonable solution as it makes sense IC.
IC - Hart would think it's a ridiculous concept. So I vote with my character's decision, as it should be.

*Meanwhile, silently makes a character called Dennis who advocates for an Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune*
This thread is an entirely OOC vote. We don't hold IC polls in OOC threads like this, just as a heads up.

Mato Ptechela

Wild West Legend
Whitelisted
Nov 14, 2019
I think people should handle their anger ICly with this. This reads off as a lot of people are upset OOCly at the decision. As for the times, it was decided by a 50/50 game of chance, still is today. Things happen, things should be handled ICly. Sue the state, demand for a revote IC, or, demand that the current reps put in a clause for run-off elections. This has an opportunity for a lot of interesting RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.