Extend the Day/Night Cycle [POLL]

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Extend the Day/Night Cycle (read whole post)

• Yes

Votes: 122 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 62 33.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
We believe we are able to extend the day/night cycle from its current length of 48 minutes.
It would likely not be longer than 2x the current day/night cycle. The exact amount is undetermined. But yeah, at most 2x.

Folks,

I'm not sure where the 3 hours is coming from - I'll reiterate these posts and state that this would mean the maximum is 96 minutes - Just over 1.5 hours. Because of the way it would be done (It's a fairly janky method of getting things to work, hence rubberbanding) that the day/night cycle would be the same as it is now (50/50) but would be an extended duration. This will be the case regardless of an extension or not.

You'll need to vote on the proposal as is - As the default would be status quo - and this cannot be done to extend daylight hours only. It's simply too problematic to even attempt to do something like that, since the way of extending the time is not as simple/intuitive as it may seem.

Looks-For-War

Cowboy
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Jul 29, 2020
Oklahoma
I'm confused, are we saying that the day and night must be equal in length? In the original thread, I spoke in favor of a change wherein, if it was possible, the daylight would be approximately 2/3's of a day and the night approx 1/3 of a day.

But in this poll thread, at least in reading the responses, it sounds as if we are discussing extending the length of the day AND the night cycles (though they both still be equal in duration).

If this is the case, it seems a bit of a wash actually. I would not be very keen to see 1.5 hours of light and then 1.5 hours of darkness. I think that could really impact the play of people who have limited time to come into the game -- perhaps they find it dark the entire time they have available, or light?

The notion, IIRC, was to have a day-cycle IC feel more reasonable (a IRL day is generally/approx 15 - 16 hours of light, 8-9 hours of darkness ---------- yes, I know, depending on where you are on the globe and the season of the year there can be variation, but as a general rule of thumb).

Is it technically possible to get a day/night cycle to be approx 66% light and 33% dark?
This would be my idea of overall improvement.

Reactions: Jack Venable

Serena Sinclair

Cowboy
Whitelisted
May 28, 2020
I'm confused, are we saying that the day and night must be equal in length? In the original thread, I spoke in favor of a change wherein, if it was possible, the daylight would be approximately 2/3's of a day and the night approx 1/3 of a day.

But in this poll thread, at least in reading the responses, it sounds as if we are discussing extending the length of the day AND the night cycles (though they both still be equal in duration).

If this is the case, it seems a bit of a wash actually. I would not be very keen to see 1.5 hours of light and then 1.5 hours of darkness. I think that could really impact the play of people who have limited time to come into the game -- perhaps they find it dark the entire time they have available, or light?

The notion, IIRC, was to have a day-cycle IC feel more reasonable (a IRL day is generally/approx 15 - 16 hours of light, 8-9 hours of darkness ---------- yes, I know, depending on where you are on the globe and the season of the year there can be variation, but as a general rule of thumb).

Is it technically possible to get a day/night cycle to be approx 66% light and 33% dark?
I would love this so much. Extending the day time more than the night. I feel like I have to rush certain things, like shopping for clothes or hunting because it gets dark so quickly... and trust me, I can spend 3 days in the clothing shop. 🤣

Edit: I'm personally okay with sacrificing a seamless day/night transition.

Reactions: Jack Venable

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
This would be my idea of overall improvement.
I would love this so much. Extending the day time more than the night. I feel like I have to rush certain things, like shopping for clothes or hunting because it gets dark so quickly... and trust me, I can spend 3 days in the clothing shop. 🤣

Edit: I'm personally okay with sacrificing a seamless day/night transition.

If this is something we could do we would, but it's not within the realm of possibility at least for the time being.
Because of the way it would be done (It's a fairly janky method of getting things to work, hence rubberbanding) that the day/night cycle would be the same as it is now (50/50) but would be an extended duration. This will be the case regardless of an extension or not.

You'll need to vote on the proposal as is - As the default would be status quo - and this cannot be done to extend daylight hours only. It's simply too problematic to even attempt to do something like that, since the way of extending the time is not as simple/intuitive as it may seem.

Hudson Mccarty

Dancing Queen
Whitelisted
Mar 5, 2020
Just to clarify we'd be solely looking at extending daytime to 48 minutes and nighttime to 48 minutes from 24 minutes respectively ( 99% sure that a full cycle is 48 minutes). There wouldnt be a different ratio. Mainly cuz it would most likely break more than it would improve things... and also its just not how time as we know it works so immersion. :)

Doug McColm

Cowpoke
Whitelisted
May 27, 2020
www.twitch.tv
I was actually going to make a thread about in-game times but this will suffice for now as I would've liked to do more observing.

Here's the info:

I observed the St. Denis trolley, the train and the lights from outside Doyle's tavern for a 1hr 22min and 30sec staring at 1344.

In that time the trolley passed by 13 times at an average of once every 6min 20sec
The train passed by three times at: 1357, 1424 and 1451
And the lights turned on at: 1416 and 1504 ( I wasn't being as observant as I should have been and may have missed the first time these actually turned on)

The sign outside the trolley station indicates that the "Blue Trolley Loop" (the one observed) takes 2 hours to complete
trolleyboard.JPG

(Yep, I really did. Needed something to do waiting for customers at Doyle's :p )

Jack Venable

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2020
Texas
Folks,

... I'll reiterate these posts and state that this would mean the maximum is 96 minutes - Just over 1.5 hours. Because of the way it would be done ... that the day/night cycle would be the same as it is now (50/50) but would be an extended duration.

Okay, if all we can do is extend the day/night period of time (and the ratio remains 50/50) I guess I would vote no --- but thank you for clarifying.

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
Okay, if all we can do is extend the day/night period of time (and the ratio remains 50/50) I guess I would vote no --- but thank you for clarifying.
Yeah, unfortunately - If it was feasible, I would agree. It's just not within the realm of possibility right now:
Just to clarify we'd be solely looking at extending daytime to 48 minutes and nighttime to 48 minutes from 24 minutes respectively ( 99% sure that a full cycle is 48 minutes). There wouldnt be a different ratio. Mainly cuz it would most likely break more than it would improve things

James Walter

Tech Support Tanya
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Jan 29, 2020
United Kingdom
twitch.tv
I love the idea of this but man that would kill some people's experience if they are limited to the times/lengths of play. You have the potential for some to ONLY experience night or day but never both.
Yeah 6 hours was a long time, I wouldn't like to see it here for WWRP because I don't think it would fit as much as it did in DayZ. My initial idea was having it to be when after resort the first 1hour or so would be night/early morning, and then coming up to restart it would start going into evening/night again!

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
I think maybe more daylight would be nice, and shorter nights, but not too much? And the cycle itself shouldn't change.
There's quite a few posts here that address this already as not really being possible at this time, so proposal would just be to change the entire cycle, day and night.

Yeah 6 hours was a long time, I wouldn't like to see it here for WWRP because I don't think it would fit as much as it did in DayZ. My initial idea was having it to be when after resort the first 1hour or so would be night/early morning, and then coming up to restart it would start going into evening/night again!
As addressed in a few posts (as well as the OP) the proposal would change the time by 2x at most. So 48 minutes -> 96 minutes total cycle. Not 6 hours.