Extend the Day/Night Cycle [POLL]

• Check out our Partnered Grand Theft Auto 5 Roleplaying Community New Day RP!

Extend the Day/Night Cycle (read whole post)

• Yes

Votes: 122 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 62 33.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
Hi all,

We believe we are able to extend the day/night cycle from its current length of 48 minutes. This however would likely cause rubber-banding of the sun/moon, although it wouldn't be jarring it may be noticible. We wanted to create this poll to gather the communities input given the potential downside to doing this. Please vote with the rubber-banding in mind.

Will leave this open for 1 week, and depending on the outcome we will assign a developer afterwards. This won't be an immediate change but we don't want to allocate the development resources unless the community clearly wants this.

Thanks,

Hayes/Staff

EDIT: To clarify, this would be to extend the day/night cycle to a maximum of 2x the current cycle, so 96 vs 48 minutes. It would be just to extend the day + night cycle which is currently 50/50 and would be 50/50 under any proposed change.

Last edited:

James Walter

Tech Support Tanya
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Jan 29, 2020
United Kingdom
twitch.tv
Previously coming from a server where it was 6 hours day and 6 hours night, the immersion was incredible. Obviously depending on the amount of rubber-banding that is caused I feel a good day/night cycle will be great.

Now, not everyone that plays here is from the US. I feel a good way to deal with timezone situations would be, when the server restarts and you get on, it would be early morning such as 4am and then it would go through the phase by mid restart where it is midday, and then coming to server restart again, it would become night time such as 12am and such. This would be a stable cycle as you would have 4 IG day for 1 IRL day. This was just a rough sketch of how I personally feel would be fit for all timezones!

James Redford

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Apr 29, 2020
Boston, Ma
Edit: Changed my vote to Yes, but this was my initial thought.

I only voted No only because, I kind of like the length of the night but I think the daytime period being longer would be nice. Then again I’m sure there are people that prefer longer nights to day. Taking the rubber banding into account, I feel like I encounter enough rubber banding from other players (east coast US here) that I’m not sure if I’d be a big fan of seeing it happen with the sun and moon too.

However if nothing happened and it stayed the same as is, I don’t think it would affect much unless there’s something I’m not seeing with the current day and night schedule. Just my opinion! 🥳

Just as a side note, I have no RP experience with lengthy day and night cycles but I guess it could be interesting if they lasted a very long time. I could def be swayed if it makes more interesting scenarios

Last edited:
O

Ollie Tillman

We believe we are able to extend the day/night cycle from its current length of 48 minutes.
I would like to know the extent of this change. Because extending it from 48 minutes to few hours hours might be overkill. Although i like the cycle how it is right now, i guess the voting will decide. So I think that maybe doubling the time to 96 would be okay-ish, but sextupling would be way too much.

Varun Torino

Gunslinger
Gold Supporter
Permanently Banned
May 27, 2020
Maryland
www.twitch.tv
I feel that this could be dependent on the time of year. Given in-game right now it's winter. We would have less daylight such as now where I live we have about 10 hours of daylight. When the snow leaves and the seasons change I would much prefer more daytime. Given the peak of summer, we reach 15 hours of sunlight here.

A massive change to the day and night cycle will heavily impact hardcore roleplayers. While also impacting traveling, animal attacks, chasing, and tracking.

I personally feel like the night should be extended to 1 hour and the day 1 hour 30 minutes if possible. Nothing super extreme. Or possibly timed so that near server restart it becomes night time again and after restart it is dawn.

Fergus O'Leary

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Jul 2, 2020
Portugal
I feel like this is highly dependent on how much the cycle is extended. I'm guessing the more extended it is the more rubber-banding it would get? Or at least the more noticeable it would become. I think a slight increase to 60 minutes would be ideal.

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
I would like to know the extent of this change. Because extending it from 48 minutes to few hours hours might be overkill. Although i like the cycle how it is right now, i guess the voting will decide. So I think that maybe doubling the time to 96 would be okay-ish, but sextupling would be way too much.
It would likely not be longer than 2x the current day/night cycle. The exact amount is undetermined. But yeah, at most 2x.

James Redford

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Apr 29, 2020
Boston, Ma
If the change would be say 2x only, I would change my vote. I think its great to have longer cycles, I just wasnt sure how long it was. So if its only 2x as long, then that seems reasonable to me, I was thinking it was going to be something crazy long. I guess the biggest drawback is the amount of animal attacks, but maybe it'll make people travel less at night?

Mato Hanska

Wild West Legend
Permanently Banned
Jul 13, 2020
I voted yes though I will caveat that I would like to see this brought out after the snowstorm map is removed and we return to normal temperatures for the map. Only because the foggy day is super blinding that at times I use them to afk. Also cause on winter I do love the map at night. It just feels so much more festive. Would like to see some perma night events come out. Like Halloween week/weekend having a perma night. I’d be most in favor of the day/night cycle playing out so that it aligns with a US timezone (I will argue for mountain time but whatever).

At either rate my character always reacts to the time with the real world clock. 2100 by my computer is 2100 for my computer regardless of the position of the sun and moon in game.

William Hayes

The Man Himself
Management
AG's Office
Whitelisted
First Settler
Oct 10, 2019
If the change would be say 2x only, I would change my vote. I think its great to have longer cycles, I just wasnt sure how long it was. So if its only 2x as long, then that seems reasonable to me, I was thinking it was going to be something crazy long. I guess the biggest drawback is the amount of animal attacks, but maybe it'll make people travel less at night?
I made changing votes possible when I made the poll so it should be something you can do on your own

Reactions: James Redford

Salvatore Cassini

Gunslinger
Media Engagement
Whitelisted
First Settler
Gold Supporter
Nov 4, 2019
Texas
I guess the biggest drawback is the amount of animal attacks, but maybe it'll make people travel less at night?
Trains, carriages and wagons are your friends ;).

Previously coming from a server where it was 6 hours day and 6 hours night, the immersion was incredible.
I love the idea of this but man that would kill some people's experience if they are limited to the times/lengths of play. You have the potential for some to ONLY experience night or day but never both.

It would likely not be longer than 2x the current day/night cycle. The exact amount is undetermined. But yeah, at most 2x.
With this in mind, yeah I'm totally for this!

Mato Hanska

Wild West Legend
Permanently Banned
Jul 13, 2020
I might have to start offering an animal safety course. Most predators are super easy to avoid and even hunt if you know what to do. Also only Wolves and big cats are nocturnal and even then they aren’t reliably so. Panthers are rarer but deadlier Than cougars.

Josie Erickson

Ayaya Intensifies!
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Retired Staff
Apr 20, 2020
Seattle
www.Twitch.tv
I would love this actually! It gets kind of weird during events like weddings and such, when the in game day goes by multiple times. This would be really great. Now, if we could just get those winter wind storms to settle down a bit haha

Reactions: Caspar Dubois

Irene Corvus

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
May 5, 2020
This would be amazing! I've had some characters that depend on night and day cycles and will only come out at night. By the time I walk around the night is already over and I have to go back without doing anything. This would make it so much more immersive too!

Jack Venable

Gunslinger
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2020
Texas
I'm confused, are we saying that the day and night must be equal in length? In the original thread, I spoke in favor of a change wherein, if it was possible, the daylight would be approximately 2/3's of a day and the night approx 1/3 of a day.

But in this poll thread, at least in reading the responses, it sounds as if we are discussing extending the length of the day AND the night cycles (though they both still be equal in duration).

If this is the case, it seems a bit of a wash actually. I would not be very keen to see 1.5 hours of light and then 1.5 hours of darkness. I think that could really impact the play of people who have limited time to come into the game -- perhaps they find it dark the entire time they have available, or light?

The notion, IIRC, was to have a day-cycle IC feel more reasonable (a IRL day is generally/approx 15 - 16 hours of light, 8-9 hours of darkness ---------- yes, I know, depending on where you are on the globe and the season of the year there can be variation, but as a general rule of thumb).

Is it technically possible to get a day/night cycle to be approx 66% light and 33% dark?

Molly Ray

That Gal Here
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2019
I'm confused, are we saying that the day and night must be equal in length? In the original thread, I spoke in favor of a change wherein, if it was possible, the daylight would be approximately 2/3's of a day and the night approx 1/3 of a day.

But in this poll thread, at least in reading the responses, it sounds as if we are discussing extending the length of the day AND the night cycles (though they both still be equal in duration).

If this is the case, it seems a bit of a wash actually. I would not be very keen to see 1.5 hours of light and then 1.5 hours of darkness. I think that could really impact the play of people who have limited time to come into the game -- perhaps they find it dark the entire time they have available, or light?

The notion, IIRC, was to have a day-cycle IC feel more reasonable (a IRL day is generally/approx 15 - 16 hours of light, 8-9 hours of darkness ---------- yes, I know, depending on where you are on the globe and the season of the year there can be variation, but as a general rule of thumb).

Is it technically possible to get a day/night cycle to be approx 66% light and 33% dark?
I agree with the extension 66/33% but making it to where a full cycle is 3 hours long, Idk, not something I am for personally, more so against.

Reactions: Jack Venable

Petra Blackhart

"Don't be a Muppet!"
Staff
Media Engagement
Department of Prisons
Whitelisted
Gold Supporter
Oct 15, 2020
United States
twitch.tv
I agree with the extension 66/33% but making it to where a full cycle is 3 hours long, Idk, not something I am for personally, more so against.

Yeah I think 3 hours is a bit much, I sort of like the current cycle because you can use night time as a break from movement related actions, etc. I would like the cycle to be a bit longer, but not by much.